Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bangkok River Ride & Flower Market

On Monday Heidi took me to Bangkok via a river boat.

At 10 days into my trip, my impressions of the Thai people have been overwhelmingly positive. They're happy, welcoming, warm, helpful, and did I mention happy? I've traveled many places where the locals seemed less than thrilled to have tourists and other foreigners around. I've even been made to feel unwelcome by locals in my own town.
Not the Thais though. Whether they be neighbors, street vendors, our driver, the lady lady giving me a pedicure, or the random strangers we pass on the street. Everyone is friendly.

However, they have no problem littering. So that made the river ride a bit depressing. The various bits of garbage floating in the water surprised me... like, how do barbie dolls and broken dog food bowls even find their way in there? Almost seems like it'd be easier to drop it in a public trash bin. But, it is what it is... and aside from the trash, this is a great place.

Our ride:

IMG_2965


Heidi on the ride:

IMG_2967


Some of the sights along our way to Bangkok:

IMG_2969

IMG_2968

IMG_2990

IMG_2996

IMG_3011

IMG_3021



Now, for some of Bangkok:

IMG_3032

This blurry picture sums up Thailand pretty well. Thais zooming by on motorcycles, and a "peace to all who enter here" sign with monks strolling past.

IMG_3041


The Thai people genuinely love and respect their royalty. Pictures of their king and queen can be found everywhere, though most often displayed in elaborate shrines outside of major businesses.
This tattered photograph, however, had been adhered to a dark and dirty alley's wall with masking tape. While Thailand does have its problems, a secluded picture of royalty would have been defamed if it was anywhere else in the world.

IMG_3050

The highlight of my day? Visiting the Little India area of town and eating some WONDERFUL food:

IMG_3051


Oh, and forget about to-go boxes. Chicken? Pepsi? There's a bag for that.

IMG_3056

After dinner we took a took-took(?Took-toot? I'll have to clarify with Heidi on the spelling/pronunciation) to the flower market. That little thing was wild.

IMG_3059

IMG_3070

IMG_3065

(I love their HOT PINK Taxis here!)
IMG_3077

Me in the crazy vehicle:

IMG_3083

IMG_3084


Aaaaand we arrived at the flower market unscathed:

IMG_3085

IMG_3088

The flowers were SO beautiful! I couldn't get over ALL THAT COLOR!

IMG_3091

IMG_3098

IMG_3101

IMG_3107


IMG_3111

IMG_3092

IMG_3114


IMG_3106

IMG_3109


Hmmm I wonder if I can talk Donald into applying for an embassy job here. ;-)

1 comment:

Background Code